Under the partnership between HKU and Mitacs, students can apply for Globalink Research Internship (GRI) to spend 12 weeks (between May and October, 2024) in Canada on a research project in their area of interest under the supervision of a professor.
Highlights of GRI
- Each intern will be offered stipend and allowance in a total amount of around *CAD9,000 for airfare, transportation, accommodation and living expense in Canada, etc.
- An opportunity to take part in professional training (e.g. teamwork, project management, problem solving, communication and entrepreneurship)
- A chance to interact with companies of interest through events or individual meetings
- Extensive opportunities for cultural, social and recreational experiences as well as international exposure
- A gateway to further study and career opportunities in Canada
*Remarks: It is subject to change and the exact amount and breakdown will be indicated on the GRI Award Letter.
Information on Globalink Research Internship (GRI) from Mitacs
List of research projects in 2024
- Full-time undergraduate students in non-final year (in the academic year of 2023/24)
- Latest CGPA (as of Semester 2, 2022/23) of 3.3 or above
- Completed at least 2 semesters of undergraduate study in HKU when applying to International Affairs Office (IAO)
Application Procedure for GRI
Before applying for GRI with Mitacs, you will first need to make an application to IAO. Only successful applicants who are nominated by IAO can apply to Mitacs.
1. Apply through the online application system
2. Submit the required documents on the online application system
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Research rationale (a maximum of 200 words) with these details:
- Why you would like to take part in a research internship in Canada
- Why you believe you should be accepted into the programme
- What you hope to have accomplished by the end of your stay in Canada
- Official transcript/ screen capture(s) of academic results from HKU Portal with your latest CGPA
3. Receive nomination offer from IAO
4. Appy to Mitacs
5. Applicants who have received an internship offer from Mitacs will need to pay a deposit of HKD2,000 (please refer to Deposit Payment Instruction) and submit the payment slip to the IAO online application system by the given deadline.
- The deposit is refundable upon your completion of the programme and the submission of your report. Under normal circumstances, no deposit shall be refunded if you withdraw from the programme after accepting the offer or if you fail to complete the programme.
|IAO application deadline
||August 31, 2023
|Announcement of application result by IAO
||September 4, 2023
|Mitacs application deadline
||September 21, 2023 (1pm Pacific Time)
|Announcement of project matching by Mitacs
||December 2023 to January 2024
|Deposit payment deadline
||May 1, 2024
|GRI programme report submission deadline
||September 10, 2024