HSBC Overseas Scholarship in 2024-25
About the Scheme
The Hongkong Bank Foundation offers the HSBC Overseas Scholarship 2024/25 to local full-time undergraduate students to spend one year (2024/25) studying at one of the designated overseas universities. It is definitely a precious opportunity to experience different cultures, meet new friends and further broaden your global perspectives with substantial support from HSBC.
Value of Scholarship
The value of the HSBC Overseas Scholarship 2024/25 is a maximum of HKD300,000.
- Tuition fees and mandatory college fees
- Economy class return airfare
- Reasonable room and board costs, books, and a small portion of living expenses
However, the scholarship amount does not cover insurance, personal expenses, and other incidentals. The final amount is subject to the recommendation by HKU and HSBC's approval.
Click HERE to Apply, the application is open until December 15, 2023
Who Can Apply
- Non-final year full-time undergraduate students.
- Hong Kong permanent residents with the right of abode in Hong Kong.
- Those with a minimum grade point cumulative average (CGPA) score of 3.7 or above/first class honours/ top 3% in class/distinction (or equivalent) in the first semester of 2023/24.
- Those with no extensive experience living or studying overseas.
- A commitment to Hong Kong is required.
- Demonstrating a well-rounded profile, showcasing involvement in extra-curricular and community activities.
- Strong financial needs
- Those with a minimum total TOEFL score of 90 (Internet-based test) with scores for individual sections not lower than 22 on listening, 17 on writing, 21 on reading and 21 on speaking; or a minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5, with no component below 6.0. Both tests must be dated 12 February 2022 or later. This requirement is irrespective of the admission requirement of the intended overseas universities.
- Click HERE to Apply, the application is open until December 15, 2023
- Upload the supporting documents:
- HKU official transcript
- TOEFL or IELTS test report. (Both tests must be dated 12 February 2022 or later.) This is irrespective of the admission requirement of the intended overseas universities.
- Application Form
- Student Undertaking Form
- Pro-forma Summary along with all reference documents:
- Tuition fee, mandatory college fee, room and board fee, etc. could be referred from the institution's website
- A minimum economy class return airfare should be provided based on a minimum of three quotations
The forms are in writeable PDF format, so please complete the application electronically. For documents needing signatures, please scan and save the document in PDF format before uploading it to the application system.
- Selected students will be nominated to HSBC and might be invited to an interview with an HSBC selection panel before April 2024.
- Final offers will be extended upon (1) the formal admission by the intended overseas university and (2) the application to participate in the Hong Kong Young Ambassador Scheme (HKYAS)
Notes for Applicants
- Students who are currently studying any one of the following disciplines may apply. To enable students to have more exposure to their fields of study, applicants will have the flexibility to major in a discipline other than that currently studied while abroad. The discipline, however, must be in the approved bachelor degree courses listed.
- All disciplines under architecture, business and economics, communication, computer science/information systems, construction and land use, dentistry, design, education, engineering, health care, hotels and tourism, law, medicine, science (basic and applied), social sciences, textiles, arts subjects (linguistics and languages, translation, history, geography, fine arts and applied arts) and environment.
- Students who apply for HKU Worldwide Plus Visiting Programme are highly recommended to apply for the HSBC Overseas Scholarship at the same time.
- The scholar must return to Hong Kong after the year overseas to complete his/her degree at HKU. Scholars who do not comply with this requirement must reimburse the full cost of the scholarship.
- As scholarships will be awarded only to candidates who fulfil all selection criteria and are selected by the HSBC panel, there is no guarantee that any or all candidate(s) nominated by HKU will be invited to the interview or receive the scholarship.
- All awardees under this scholarship must submit a written report and their transcript for their term of study to HSBC within one month of their return to Hong Kong via IAO.
- All awardees must also agree to acknowledge by naming and tagging the Hongkong Bank Foundation when posting relevant content on social media.